Following a critical internal audit, West Midlands Police (WMP) briefed ADR on the findings and issues with Contracts & Procurement within WMP. WMP outlined their objectives in terms of future scope, performance and outcomes of Procurement within WMP and requested that ADR conduct a current state analysis and develop recommendations to implement their vision.
1. Initial planning and mobilisation including accessing and reviewing Standard Operating Procedures, Finance Regulations, Performance governance, Stakeholder communications, and identifying key personnel to be engaged.
2. Perform an expenditure analysis to inform the review and provide insight into spend coverage and the extent of compliance with OJEU rules and internal Finance Regulations, corporate contracts and SOP’s.
3. Conduct interviews with key personnel including senior managers
4. Perform analysis in order to:
– Examine how well the money is spent;
– Assess the levels of expertise and effort being applied in purchasing management, execution and supplier performance;
– Evaluate the structure, governance procedures & policy, processes, practices & working methods;
– Examine the management methods used to control purchasing (especially with regard to systems, target setting and performance measurement).
5. Evaluate the findings and develop recommendations as appropriate. Prepare and present a report of the review outlining an implementation plan, time scale and outcomes that may be achieved.
An evaluation of the WMP’s procurement effectiveness specifically focussing on organisation, governance, processes, practices, working methods and performance
An assessment of the resource levels & staff capability
An evaluation of the links to / governance from the WMPA
An opportunity analysis to support a business case identifying cost and value improvement potential
The findings and analysis identified a series of recommendations to achieve the WMP objectives:
– Re-organise around category groups
– Introduce a category based sourcing process
– Remove sourcing process bottlenecks by identifying exception criteria which warranted specialist (legal) support
– Targeted cost improvement projects resource allocation
– Adopt performance measurement metrics and targeting
– Align procurement staff with key stakeholder groups to achieve a proactive insight into local sourcing priorities.
West Midlands Police
Diagnostics & Advisory
Current state analysis Recommendations
Re-organised category groups New sourcing process introduced Targeted cost improvement programs